Saturday, 15 July 2006

The Final Edit

This week I spent three full days editing "April 3rd" in the Media Edit Suite at college, and at last, the film is complete. At last!!!

EXPOSURES - HOPEFULLY "APRIL 3RD"'S FUTURE

Honestly, the whole experience of editing was one of love and hate, because I had so much footage filmed (about 45/50 minutes worth!) that to cut the film down to an acceptable length of between 5 and 10 minutes, I had to edit out a lot of stuff that I really liked. It's hard to distinguish between the good (the essential stuff) and the not so good (the scenes that add nothing to the narrative, but help to make a good film a better film). I think that I got there at last...just!

I was working with a skeleton crew during the whole editing process, just me and a marvellous film student called Jamie Allan. Of the five people who set out to create "April 3rd" only the two of us weren't on holiday during the editing process. Still, I don't look down on the other three guys - cos they all did their jobs, and mighty fine ones at that. I really couldn't be any happier with my group. Well done guys, you've created something extraordinary, and I'm proud of each and every one of you. :)

So, "April 3rd" has finished its production cycle. It's been burned onto a DVD, and sent off to the Cornerhouse Cinema in Manchester. A decision will be made in August whether or not out film will be entered for a young person's film festival there in December, but fingers crossed, it will be.

I'll write some articles on "April 3rd" soon, and hopefully, present you guys with some screen caps too. I'm really proud of the film. Not because it's a great film (I won't pretend it is) but because it's my first film.

A stepping stone for things to come.

Post a Comment