Sunday, 9 July 2006

It's Been A While...

It may have been a while since I last updated "Timespotters" but that doesn't mean I've been slacking. Over the past month or so, I've probably been more busy than at any other point in my life.

I'll attempt to slowly fill you in on what I've been up to recently...

COLLEGE
My exams are now officially over, and I can sit back and relax a little until Results Day comes on 17th August 2006. Which I'm glad about. What I'm not glad about though is the fact that despite this, I'm still expected to go into college everyday until we break up on the 12th July. This means I've had a month of lessons supposedly gearing me up for Upper Six in college, when in truth we've done bugger all except mess around. So, not the best use of my time then.

As you can tell, I'm really happy about having to spend valuble time in college, not learning anything (you don't need me to explain what sarcasm is do you?)...

WORK
I've still not found a job (but I think I'm on the verge of doing so right now :) ). Nevermind, there's plenty of time I suppose. From this Thursday onwards I'll be working with my Dad again, gardening, and earning money. Which should be cool. I have around £265 in the bank right now, and before summer's over, I'm aiming for £500! lol. Greedy me.

I'm saving as much money as I can up, ready for university. Hopefully, I can get a seperate job away from my Dad, which will mean, with EMA included, I'd have three seperate allowences coming in.

Money Money Money!

APRIL 3RD
I'll explain more about this later in the week, but basically I've been asked to produce a short film with four other students, one which can be entered into a young person's film festival here in Manchester come December.

I came up with the idea of re-tooling my previous "April 3rd" coursework for the project, by rejigging the script and enabling it to be presented as not a full 90 minute film, but a short, experimental 5-15 min film.

I've taken elements from the original coursework, but really, this is a totally new script, which I myself have written. It's taken me two weeks to write four drafts, and edit them all so that now I have a fifth and final draft ready to film. The process of redrafting usually takes months, not mere weeks, so needless to say, it's left me exhausted.

Last Thursday (6th July) we travelled to Prestwich Village in Manchester and film most of "April 3rd". So, the process is almost complete. All that's left for me to do now is edit the film on Monday/Tuesday, and burn it onto DVD.

You can read the draft scripts of the film here, here, here and here. Later in the week I'll present a full rundown of the film, and maybe even give you guys the chance to watch the finished product via You Tube.

ASSASSIN/DARKENED AVENUE
If I'm totally honest, because of exams and "April 3rd" I've had very little free time on my hands, and so I've got no further with the witing of this comic. But with "April 3rd" nearing completion, and with the summer break fast approaching, I'll have loads of free time on my hands again, so hopefully, I can use it to do what I love: writing these marvelous characters.

An update on all things Assassin/Darkened Avenue is coming very soon folks!

OTHER SCRIPTS
Like I said above, I've had very little free time, but when I have had the odd second to myself, I've used it to plan two brand new comic strip adventures.

One of them, "Day of the Triffids" is an adaption of John Wyndam's classic 1951 novel, set in contemporary London. I've planned out all 13 issues of this fantastic mini-series, staying as faithful to the source material as possible. It's just a matter of finding free time to actually sit down and write the thing now. But be warned, the Triffids are coming...

The Triffids will be available to read, exclusively, on this very site. So keep your eyes peeled!

The other series I'm currently developing, "The Flame", still needs some TLC, and should be a while coming. So don't get your hopes up of seeing it any time soon...

EXTRA FEATURES
I've created a new website, www.jackharkness-extra.blogspot.com to house numerous "special features" for you guys to read. These range from exclusive behind the scenes reviews of my "Timespotters" scripts, to complete scripts for "April 3rd", and maybe some "Assassin / Darkened Avenue" goodies too. Visit the site on a regular basis, because I promise to keep you guys in the loop as much as possible. And you can't say fairer than that.

So, I've got an e-mail to write now. My girlfriend is away in devon, on holiday, and I don't get to see her for a week. So, I promised to e-mail her once a day, 'cos I love her. Anyway, I'll see you guys real soon.

Now...I think I'll catch up with an old friend called sleep...
Post a Comment