Saturday, 12 August 2006

The More Things Change...

Today was my step-mum's birthday; an opportunity for her to visit the family and take a trip down memory lane. And I was there with her for part of the journey.

Man, reunions are a funny thing - aren't they?

My step-mum's best friends make a great couple (despite a 20 year old age gap). I have so many memories of them from when I was little, as both of them looked after me and helped shape who I am today. I had total respect for the pair of them once upon a time, and even looked at them as some sort of parent figures. How things change...

Looking at the pair today, all I saw was a pair of selfish, sarcastic, unfamiliar baffoons. I'm not saying they're bad people (far from it), but they've changed from the pair I once thought that I knew.

And isn't that what life's all about? Change. The one word all writers and actors should learn, because until the idea of real change has been learnt, our characters cannot ever evolve from the sum of their parts, and will become stale and boring. Compare the emotional arc of Buffy Summers to the wooden 45 year history of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street. Now do you see what I mean?

When I write, change is always at the back of my mind, because it keeps a series feeling not only fresh faced, but realistic too. The most successful of my series are the ones that embrace change the best. Take Timespotters, which in virtually every re-draft has undergone fantastic changes - and that change continues to this day...

Tomorrow sees my 50th post here on blogger, and to celebrate I've got some fantastic news concerning "The Company of Thieves". Just what the hell is it all about?!?

Well, next post, you're about to find out.

At last...
Post a Comment