Monday, 11 September 2006

Phil In The Blanks

Today my good friend Philip Wooller read the first 8 pages of "Aftermaths". I let him read that far, because that's it: the opening is now written, and I don't think it needs any more re-writes. For the first time ever, I have a filmable quarter-script that was created after only two drafts. Result! Now about the rest of the script...

The last 3/4 of "Aftermaths" are still being written, and if I'm totally honest, I'm still not entirely pleased with what I've written so far. The characters seem a little dimension-less (a contrast to the opening pages, where characterisation is spot on) and the plot is still a little wobbly. But not to worry, I've got plenty of time yet. October is still a while away...

I've planned for filming to commence in early October: meaning that this time next month, we could have a completed film ready to show audience's, which is an exciting prospect. Although I still can't quite confirm the film's director (mainly because I'm still not sure he wants to film it!) I can at last make the first bit of casting news: Phil Wooller, my amigo mentioned above, is the film's cameraman. And it's a special treat having him onboard. He filmed some of the back-up shots for "April 3rd" when we found, during editing, that we ran a little short. His footage was, quite simply, breath taking and had a depth to it that in places, the rest of the film didn't. So I've snacked him up for this film, and we'll see how he'll work his amgic here!

In other 'news' today marked my first theatre studies lesson of the new college year, and if I'm being totally honest, it was far from my expectations. The teacher I had last year, Michelle Gilliver is gone, and so my class has been divided up and now I'm in a class I don't know, where half the people already know each other very well. To make matters worse, I was 110% out of my depth when the teacher, a nice chap called Mr. Campbell, started asking me all these questions relating to this year's coursework text "The Trojan Women". Whoa, too much information to take in!

This year's college production is a version of "Oliver!" - but with a deadly twist; Oliver Twist will be played by a girl, and Faggin is her pimp. OMG! Anyways, I plan to audition again this year, possibly for the role of Faggin, but we'll see. After all, my audition can't be worse than last year's was. But that's a story for another time...
Post a Comment