Wednesday, 6 September 2006

So, How Long Is 40 Pages?!?

The past few week's have been a blast, and I've enjoyed every minute. Time off from college has allowed me to do a number of things that I've been meaning to get around to doing for a long time. Like writing - boy have I been busy.

A few weeks ago I popped into college to get my exam results, and along the way I wrote what I call "the bible". That is, a document that I write before every major script, to give the cast and crew an idea of what my film is about, and what my aims are throughout. The "Aftermaths" bible was a little daunting, because unlike "April 3rd", the film is a totally new idea, and I really was making certain things up on the spot. Talk about honesty! The bible basically allowed me to write all of my ideas for the film down in one identifiable place, and in the long run, it helped organise them all into an order I could use to eventually write the film.

And that's just what I did.

I've spent the last fortnight scribbling away at the "Aftermaths" script, and the whole experience has left me totally re-energised. Sure, the first couple of attempts may have misfired, but third time lucky, I got there, and now have a fully functional first draft sat on my lap - and I couldn't be happier.

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's only a first draft, so such thoughts can be forgiven. It's the re-write process that the word "good" begins to creep in. Strangely, I'm more happy with the first draft of "Aftermaths" than at the same point in "April 3rd"'s development, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's the fact that this film uses actual dialogue, and not just the voice of a narrator. The interaction between characters really does make this film, and it's so, so important to the overall theme, and the overall mystery.

Who exactly did kill Laura Pope?

Well, I'm not telling, but what I will say is this: "Aftermaths" draft one contains the words "ready brek", "venom", "love-heart-shaped", "bin bags" and "99 Flake Ice Cream". Now, talk about enigmatic! Hopefully, all those words/phrases survive to the next draft, and beyond, because they're all so fantastically fun. Especially the "ready brek" bit - you're going to love that scene!

Last night, moving swiftly on, I was speaking to a friend of mine on msn, and I talked to him about the possibility of him/her directing "Aftermaths". Honestly and truthfully, I hope they say yes to the suggestion, because I've seen some of their work in the past and it blew me away, and I can't wait to see what they'd do with the "Aftermaths" script. I wrote it with their name already in mind, and so I really hope they do agree, or I'll be damned forever! Well, not quite, but near enough.

Once the dircetor's role has been secured, we can move onto editing the script, and polishing it to perfection. After that, it's just a matter of assembling the cast and crew together and filming the thing; and hey, life will be breathed into "Aftermaths". And I can't wait!

The journey's only just beginning, and we've got a long, long way to go yet. So strap yourself in for the ride. It's going to be a blast.

See you at the other end...
Post a Comment