Thursday, 5 April 2007

Curious and Contradictary

The blog title refers, of course, to two words from my "Cigarettes and Paranoia" script which - despite my Easter break - I actually sat down to write yesterday evening. So far I've written the opening scene, and it's quite wonderful - most unlike, but like, anything I've tried doing before in the past. It's a real step up from past works,and I'm mighty proud of it.

There's one instance of an expletive used, but for the first time in my career I've managed to make the word sound completely natural and not shoe horned into the script. It sounds like a real word of fury, that a real person would say. Not some second rate cardboard cutout; but real. It makes all the difference when writing a script, I hear...

But I've learnt a lesson, following "Self" not to evaluate a film script until it's all complete. I could sit here now and over analise that opening page of words, but I'm not going to. A film only becomes a film when you look at it as one complete object. Other wiseit's just that, random words on a page lacking any beginning, middle or end.

That single page, the opening page, is the easy work complete. It's a self contained "bubble" if you like. The character featured - who goes by the wonderful name of "Miss Mysterious" - doesn't have any further impact upon the film. So this is literally the beginning and end of her story. Now I've got to introduce the real story - which ultimately could prove a much harder job.

However, I like to think I'm up to the task. After all, I've still got well over a week to plan it all out and get it down on paper - and that should beenough time for a five - ten page script, shouldn't it? I certainly hope so!

Anyways, I'm off to town today (again!) to pick up my copies of Joss Whedon's wonderful Buffy season eight comic, and his debut issue of "Runaways" which I'm man enough to admit that I've never read before. Should be quite interesting, don't you think? Anything that comes from Joss turns to gold - so I'll just have to wait and see!

'Nuff said.
Post a Comment