Tuesday, 25 September 2007

One Love (One Life)

Bob Marley was a curious human being, who somehow managed to look past all those 'quaint little categories' we as human beings put on ourselves. To Marley a black man was worth just as much as a white man, and vicea versa. He stood by these convictions, often in his music, to such a degree that he refused to part from his Rasta beliefs. The man had cancer of the toe, but refused to have said toe removed because it went against his religious beliefs. Even to the end his convictions meant everything.

I'm at that point in my life right now where the man I'll become is slowly being defined. Now is the time that'll detirmine if I end up some lazy bum or a proactive demonstrator who never stops fighting. Part of me wants to end up the latter; another part knows that they'll always be a little of the former inside of me.

Now that university has started, and the lectures have begun, now's the best possible time for me to "start again", and have a new beginning. Forget all that baggage that I've assumed over the last couple of years - especially all that angst about my writing talents and ex-girlfriends, and just have a blanket beginning. Let the past rest - and look to the future.

Like Marley, I'm a man of my convictions - and from here on out I'm detirmined to stick by them. I want to write the best possible scripts, and entertain my audiences. At the same time I want to challenge their way of thinking. I want to be my own person, with confidence and understanding, but I don't want my job to compromise this fact. I've seen it too often; people in the industry who are hardened to everybody else. I'm not that sort of a guy.

But most of all I want to be the sort of guy who looks back in 20/30 years time and thinks; "You know what, despite everything I'm happy - because I stood by my decisions, my convictions. I never failed them, and so never failed myself." It's the best way to live, and the best way to die.

Stand by your convictions and you'll be remembered for all the right reasons.
Post a Comment