Monday, 22 October 2007

Anthony's Apocalypse

I've fallen into a routine, for the first time in a while. I like routine; it feels comfortable and safe - I know what's going to happen, and roughly when. Like now, with work and university, it's quite simple: I work the weekends, and study during the week (with the odd day off here and there!). Routine; structure; I wouldn't have it any other way.

But I guess that as a writer I should have a greater appreciation of the unexpected. After all, that's when the very best and most original things tend to happen in life - like love, friendship and, therefore, happiness. I don't care - I still like my order, my calm before the storm. Having routine gives me a reason to wake up in the morning and know what I'm waking up to do. And most of the time that's still exciting; knowing that I'm actually waking up to do things with my life. Routine gives my life a meaning; a reason of existence.

"Anthony's Apocalypse" is a sly reference to a project that I'm attempting to get off the ground right now. I wish I could give you all more details and a little substance, but I can't. The idea is still at that delicate stage where every thought I have about it could still potentially change with the blink of an eye. All I can say is that if I get the project off the ground, it'd be very very interesting indeed - a chance for a hell of a lot of people to see my work.

As for my other projects, I'm still working away at them. I haven't really had much time to pick up my pen or switch on the laptop these last couple of weeks to write. Instead my "writer's moments" all come when I'm sat on the 95 bus going into Bolton, on the way to college. It's there, amongst the everyday folk who are my travelling companions, that my brain works best - thinking up fantastic new storylines and brand new worlds. It's there that the worlds of Dean Driscoll and Tony McColl really come alive. And one day you'll get to share those worlds too...

I'm off to a university meeting right now; I'm the course rep (along with a very talented guy called Roger Manthorpe - you'll hear more from him in years to come, I guarentee it) which means that I have to attend a few meetings here and there and give my views on what it means to be a student in the 21st century.

Yeah, like I'd know; I'm too busy enjoying the routine of life to go out and party!
Post a Comment