Tuesday, 16 October 2007

A Hold On Me

I've had a very productive week, actually. Mostly spent inside the cinema, but there you go. I've watched a handful of films, including the Ian curtis biopic "Control" which has lead me on an investigative trail exploring Manchester's 'Factory Records' history and the such. Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays - there's so much history there, I hope I can contribute something to the Manchester scene in the years to come. It'd be nice to give something back to the city that has nurtured me since birth.

As well as "Control" I've seen Pixar's latest offering "Ratatouille". Despite it not ranking as highly as "Toy Story" on the brilliance factor, the film is still a good old fashioned romp - even if little kids won't understand 90% of what's going on. But I respect that about Pixar - they're not afraid to aim their films at a more sophisicated adult audience. You don't have to dumb down in order to get the big bucks from audiences.

"Resident Evil: Extinction" is guilty of doing just that; with scenes we've seen hundreds of times before in a hundred different zombie films. The film just doesn't offer us as an analytical audience anything particularly new to enjoy - except perhaps spectacle; but what's spectacle without context? There's little to enjoy on a re-tread of a re-tread of a re-tread...

Finally, "Black Sheep" - which is exactly what it says on the tin. A movie about killer sheep, who devour humans for sport. And occassionally have sex with them. Oh yes, several readers might be interested to know that the film explores (very bizarre) human/sheep fantasties. If you're one of them, I'd call you sick - but life's too short!

Elsewhere, and I've had a not so productive week on the script's front. A temporary bout of illness and the hectic university schedule have seen sort to that. But that hasn't stopped me trying. Just last Thursday I had a very long and interesting chat with a good friend of mine, Jack Porter, about future projects; especially one idea which sounds particularly promising. I won't say what it is, but if it goes ahead it'll be a chance to re-visit old ground with a fresh pair of eyes; which can only work in the project's favour.

There's another short script waitng to be written on my laptop right now. It's called "And Now For My Final Trick..." and is another micro short for my Thursday screenwriting class. It's only 2/3 pages long, but I've used it to do something a little different and experimental. Besides, it's set in the late 1980's, so what's not to love?!

I'll keep you posted on the script's development, and anything else that crops up, as the week goes on. Promise!
Post a Comment