Tuesday, 13 November 2007

Horatio Maguire Rides Again

Earlier on this year I wrote, produced and directed a student film called "Self"; a very personal film text about what it means to be a writer in the 21st century, with all the expectations that are layed upon us, and what we lay upon ourselves.

The film gave me the chance to introduce Horatio Maguire (played by myself) who was halfway through writing a film script - which was confussingly also called "Self" - when he developed a severe case of writer's block. Unable to complete his script, and feeling that he's lost part of his identity in the process, Horatio hits the delete button and destroys everything that he's already written.

Since I finished working on the film way back in March I've moved onto pastures new - but even though I thought I'd left the character of Horatio behind, I guess he never left me.

Now I'm writing Horatio again, for the new series I've been babbling on about for the past month or so, "Frank's Apocalypse". Though he's not the central protagonist (merely the sidekick) it's a chance to expand upon what I've already written and widen the universe I established in "Self".

Horatio has moved on since we last saw him in "Self" - he's a new man, who's started to develop ideas of his own. His friendship with the central character Frank is the backbone of the entire series - reinforcing what it means to be youth in an adult-oriented world. Besides, Horatio is a bit of a goofball, and we all know how funny they can be!

I'm able to return to the character notes that I wrote almost a year ago now, which - depressingly - were only ever touched upon in "Self". Now I'll be able to tell the complete story of Horatio Maguire, how it was supposed to be told. It's gonna be a rollercoaster ride, which involves gay dads, local pimps and lots more besides. Seriously, Horatio is bananas, and you're gonna love him.

You're going to love "Frank's Apocalypse" too (if we ever get round to filming the damn thing) and that's before I tell you about the other half a dozen supporting characters...
Post a Comment