Thursday, 20 December 2007

Relax (Take it Easy)

I think I've fallen in love with Mika. Not the literal guy, but the music he makes. Like the annoyingly popular "Grace Kelly", or "Love Today", or "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)".I love his sounds; there's something very powerful about the vocals he employs, but also a terrific sense of fun in his highly charged, camp performances.

Earlier this year I couldn't care less about him. I remember Katie and her twin sister Joanne visited a Mika concert in the Manchester Apollo (sometime around February-ish?!) and they came back from it singing the guy's praises. Katie even had Mika in her MSN topic line: "I love the Lollipop song!" she'd written. Which made me very jealous, because she was supposed to write about me in the subject bar!

Rather kindly, Katie's parents agreed to take me with them on a visit to Liverpool, and in the car journey there Katie (fresh from the Apollo concert) had Mika playing on her MP3, and she wanted me to listen to him sing. We shared a set of earphones, but I only half arsedly listened. Sure, I'd heard "Grace Kelly" (who hadn't?) but I couldn't care less about his other stuff. Especially the sodding "Lollipop" song!

After Katie broke up with me, I always regreted that car journey, because it pretty much sums up the direction in which our relationship had taken towards the end. We were still together, but we didn't really care anymore. I should have embraced this radical new music taste that Katie had suddenly developed, but I didn't. I couldn't. And that's the biggest regret.

I guess that's the reason why I've got so much time and patience for Mika and his music now; as if, in small way, me going out and buying his CD and touring DVD makes up for the fact that I didn't show the attention I should have done when Katie was talking. I didn't show an interest, but I do now - even if Katie isn't aware of me doing so.

Every time Mika plays at work (we have a music CD playing inbetween screen performances, whilst we're cleaning the cinema screens) I stop to listen, and sing along. And I can see at last just what I've been missing. Mika is great fun, and highly inventive. He has a great imagination, and his music is so very interesting. I love it!

Of course, every time I hear a Mika track it reminds me of times gone by. It reminds me of a time before I had the job working in the cinema, when I was still at college, and when me and Katie were still dating. Good times. My golden age - and somehow, Mika sums it all up. His songs echo through my soul. They are a reminder of everything I lost, and the fight I make every day to get a little of the past back.

I always think it'd be neat if the impossible happened and I ever got back with Katie, she'd be amazed to see just how much I've fallen in love with idol. I've become that little bit more like her. Which is neat, because she broke up with me citing "differences". It'll never happy. Like Mika's music, that future is a mere fairytale. Doesn't stop me enjoying the mental images though.

This is my 150th blog here on the House of Garnon site; I honestly couldn't think of a better way of celebrating it than to talk about one of my music idols. Mika's music sums up who I am right now, who I was, and - perversely - who I could have been if I'd only made better choices. I thought I'd sum up this little post of my with the lyrics to the guy's beautiful musical piece, "Happy Ending". You've all heard the song - its power reaches out and touches my heart in ways most other music could only ever dream of:

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending,
No hope, no love, no glory,
No happy ending

This is the way that we love,
Like it's forever,
Then live the rest of our life
But not together.
Wake up in the morning,
Stumble on my life,
Can't get no love,
Without sacrifice.

If anything should happen,
I guess I wish you well,
Hmm a little bit of heaven,
with a little bit of hell.

This is the hardest story,
That I've ever told,
No hope or love or glory,
Happy endings,
Gone, for ever more,
I, feel as if I'm wasting,
And I've, wasted every day.

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending,
No hope, no love, no glory,
No happy ending.
This is the way that we love,
Like it's forever,

We live the rest of our life,
But not together.
Two o'clock in the morning,
Something's on my mind,
Can't get no rest,
Keep walking around.

If I pretend that nothing
Ever went wrong,
I can get to my sleep,
I can think that we just carried on.

This is the hardest story,
That I've ever told,
No hope or love or glory,
Happy Endings,
Gone for ever more,
I, feel as if I'm wasting,
And I've, wasted every day.

[Oh I] This is the way you left me,
[Feel as if I'm wasting]I'm not pretending,
No hope, no love no glory,
No happy ending[And I've]

This is the way that we love,
Like it's forever,[Wasted every day]
And live the rest of our life,
But not together.
Little bit o love [repeated]

I, feel as if i'm wasting,
And I, wasted every day,
Hey, hey, hey, hey,
This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending,
No hope, no love no glory,
No happy ending.

This is the way that we loved,
Like it's for ever,
And live the rest of our lives,
But not together.
This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending,
No hope, no love, no glory,
No happy ending.

This is the way that we loved,
Like it's forever,
And live the rest of our lives,
But not together.

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending,
No hope, no love, no glory,
No happy ending.
Post a Comment