Monday, 31 December 2007

Review of the Year (Part II)

Let's continue the journey we started yesterday. The last twelve months of my life, in review:

JULY

Two months on and I was still hung up about the whole break-up, despite the fact that I was no longer in contact with Kate. Whenever I'm alone I think about her and the time we spent together. Life is meaningless, and everyday is a struggle. It's the first time I've ever felt truly alone in the world, and it's as if I've regressed to who I was before we started dating.

Saying that, I started to make friends at the cinema. Like I said in the first part of this review, I made a friend in a guy called Chris Groves, and somebody else too - Anthony Caine. There's others too; many others. I grow closer to them all, and I smile; because I might have lost one girlfriend, but I made twenty odd friends in the process.

I'm working an average of 35 hours a week at this point, and so I'm feeling pretty exhausted!

AUGUST

A long deserved holiday! A week in Wales!! I loved it, as it was a great way of escaping Katie and all those troubles I'd had in Manchester. Being around my family for such a long time was a particular highlight; because of work and my (then) current grumpy nature, I'd neglected them a little - so it was great to catch up!

Back at work, there were new people a plenty beginning the job, and plenty of older and experienced folk leaving it. So I started to feel 'part of thr furniture' - no longer a new guy, but a centrestone of the team. But with that comes a little responcibilty too. For the first time, it's my responcibility if things go wrong. No pressure, then.

One area the pressure was off, however, was college as I finally got my exam grades! Two As and two Bs! Better than I could ever hope for :) Results day was perfect all round. I got to see old friends one last time and say goodbye to them. I saw Katie's friends, who I'd never really bothered with before, and finally made a little effort with them. I went away smiling; because I'd redeemed myself a little where they were concerned. I was the friend I always wanted to be.

Saw Katie too, but she didn't care. I told her my grades, and she just shrugged her shoulders. Guess it marked the end of our love, because I walked home that day thinking "what a bitch" she was to me. The sky above me was a dull grey, but far ahead in the distance was bright sunshine. Guess it was a nice metaphor for how I felt back then.

My heart was broken, but it was mending itself.

SEPTEMBER

University, at last! I'd had my writing career mapped out for such a long time, so it was great to finally put certain plans into motion. I didn't start until midway through the month, but I remember being terrified. After all, this is what I wanted to do. What if I got there and... it sucked? Luckily, it didn't!

I remember everybody being terribly polite to me, whereas I was happy to play the cheeky Manc to them! I made two friends pretty early on, Emma and Paula. They helped me settle into this strange, alien environment (I say "alien", I mostly mean Peter Boyd!) and it was great talking about all sorts of geeky stuff with them!

I also got the chance to watch "Battlestar Galactica" series three on DVD. Love that show - it's great! The bravest thing on television right now, bar none. If you've not seen it yet, I can't recommend it enough. And the season finale (they're Cylons!) rocked.

OCTOBER

...And there we go, I had routine back in my life. Uni occupied my weekdays, with work at the weekend. Hell, I even got the shifts I wanted - closes! Meaning I had all day to do what I wanted every Saturday and Sunday before I had to turn in for work during the evening. Saying that, I've probably spent far too much on the taxis back home, though...

At uni I continued to make new friends - especially Roger Manthorpe, who helped me so much in all three course modules; most of all, "Cinematography". I looked up to the guy, and will happily admit that he made me jealous as hell! Still miss the guy. Uni, somehow, isn't the same place without him.

NOVEMBER

It begins; "Frank's Apocalypse" is carefully plotted out in my head and on paper. Adventures begin, and characters are born. Everything about the project madly excites me - and I can't wait to make it. The only thing holding me back is the script! Still haven't written the damn thing!

The death of Roger inspires me to live life to the full. Finally (!) I pull myself together and get a grip of reality. It's time to move on from Katie, and enjoy my life for what it is. I become extra jokey at work, and the tight pants joke becomes so very OTT. As does my 'homosexual' routine - seriously, a straight guy couldn't be anymore gay without actually being... you know, gay!

I'm also student rep at uni, attending all sorts of meetings and course leader... stuff. It often goes way over my head, but being a part of the admin team boosts my confidence a little, and I feel a little more assured about my place on the course.

DECEMBER

Here we are, end of the journey. Uni is over for the winter, and ended with a twenty minute presentation. If you'd told me twelve months ago that I'd spearhead a group presentation I'd have laughed in your face! I just wasn't confident enough. Now I am! Pride before a fall? Maybe. But I think it's more like I've discovered the real me at last.

So there we are; twelve months, and what a difference a year can make. No more girlfriend, but a job. No more college, but university. No more solidarity, but plenty of friends. 2007 is the year everything changed - not the way I wanted, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Bring on 2008, and let its journey commence!
Post a Comment