Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Sneeze/Snot

Right now I don't feel too well, which is most unlike me 'cos I'm very rarely ill. However, every quarter or so I do get a mild case of the cold and I guess that's what I've got right now. My nose is running all over the place (and because of its enormous size, it's entitled to!) and I keep sneezing. Seriously, it's not stop. Me and a guy from uni, Daniel Frost, were talking before when a sneeze fit started - and didn't stop for a whole five minutes. I counted 22 sneezes in total. And a hell of a lot of snot, too...

I really can't be arsed doing anything right now, but I did at least get the very last ever 'episode' of "Foreign Devils" written this morning. The story in question was called "The Last Stand" and saw my characters make a tough decision; do they stay in a collapsing village and fight the good fight (and almost certainly die along the way) or flee to safety and regret that decision for the rest of their lives? Ultimately they sacrificed themselves, hoping that in some small way it'd make a difference to the world.

It's been (almost) five years since I started the series. Way back in 2003 I had the original concept idea for "Foreign Devils" and it's grown from there really; filling up my imagination with lots of dramatic and twisted tales. In one way, I'm relieved it's over now - it won't be occupying my subconscious quite so much from now on. But in another way, it's kinda sad. I grew to love this series, and it's wild bunch of characters. I'll miss them, and all those adventures we had together.

That's a whopping 27 out of 30 items now completed, and just 103 remaining.

Anyhoo, t'was back to university today. It's our second week on this new scriptwriting course, and already we've got a new lecturer. His name is Les Smith, and he replaces the last guy, who we had just once last week - and who, frankly, at the time looked stoned/off his face. No wonder he hasn't turned up for this second week! The new guy looks promising, at least...

Finally got round to listening to some more of my Big Finish Doctor Who adventures, specifically the early ones featuring Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor. They're alright, I suppose, and I'm thankful that McGann is such a charismatic actor with such a wonderful voice. Can't wait until I begin the 8th Doctor's second season of adventures next week.

And whilst we're on the subject of obscure science-fiction, I ordered the series one DVD boxset of "The Twilight Zone" yesterday. It's a show that always intrigued me as a child (what I saw of it) and helped capture my attention in ways that, say, Star Trek or Space:1999 did not. I love the idea of an anthology programme; especially when it's as thought provoking and relevent to today's world (or 1960 contemporaries) as "The Twilight Zone" is.

Besides, it sends shivers down my spine, and scared me as a child. And children love being scared by what they see on their television screens; it's why something like Doctor Who or Goosebumps can survive when little other family oriented drama does.

I'm waffling again, only this time it's worse. My nose is running all over the keyboard, and when I'm all better again, it's going to be a bastard to clean off. Hope I recover quick - there's the redraft of "Frank's Apocalypse" episode one to be done. Huh, never told you bout that one did I? I like to keep a few things a surprise. Like when I'm going to sneeze next...

...Or who I'll be sneezing all over...
Post a Comment