Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Memory Lane

Recently I've started uploading some of my old scripts onto my Facebook account - like "April 3rd" and "Self". But (and it was a big but) I didn't have any of the scripts on my laptop - they were all saved on my college computer account. To make matters even worse, I never printed a final, shooting draft of any of the scripts. So then, adding them online was a little hard, as there wasn't any reference point to go off.

Except, obviously, the final filmed texts themselves.

I took the oppurtunity to go back and re-visit the scripts. Watching the short films back, I scribbled down all the dialogue spoken, and made a note of what happened and when. Then I took the scripts I already had, and added the changes and new dialogue into the mix - meaning that, at long last, I have final drafts of my films!

Here, then, is a short list of everything I've compiled so far:

My most recent script, "Cigarettes & Paranoia" - the telling tale of one middle aged homosexual male who goes out for a night on the town, and realises the younger gay community has left him behind.

"April 3rd" is the story of one Winston Smith - a lonely teenager who really hasn't got anything to live for. He's friendless, and disagrees with the way that the world is run. Today is the third of April, and we watch his journey to wherever it is he's going - and finally, when he reaches his destination, we realise what he means to do about his petty existence.

Then there's "Self", which sees teenage writer Horatio Maguire trying to write the perfect script, and at the same time try to come to terms with who he is, and what he stands for. The more we see of him, the more we realise how very tragic and unsettling Horatio's life is - and how much further he's got to go before he reaches the point in his life where he's happy.

"Frank's Apocalypse" also features Horatio Maguire, in a sort of follow-up role.

I'm incredibly lazy and haven't written "Frank's Apocalypse".

Yet.

Whilst at university last semester I wrote three micro-shorts - "The Idiot's Lantern", "Join Us For Breakfast" and "Ragdoll". All of which are very short, energetic pieces of drama that hint at a much darker, twisted undertone.

A couple of years ago I wrote another version of "April 3rd" - which was a radically different idea to what I later filmed. This longer version concerned three Muslim boys growing up and around Manchester, and growing apart. They meet up on the fateful April the third, and their lives are never the same again. I only ever wrote the opening few minutes, which is available to read here.

Finally, not strictly a script, but something I've added to Facebook, and a piece of writing I'm immensely proud of - an essay, stream of conscious thought captured on paper, regarding my break-up with Katie O'Donnell last year. Though it's true to say that I don't feel these emotions anymore, it's still a fascinating read; a moment of my life, and the thoughts that corrospond to it, captured forever and ever.*

Enjoy the readings; and please, leave those comments!

Comments make me feel all special and wanted :)

* Oh, and a poem, "February 13th 2005", which I wrote after the death of my step-mum's own mother.

** A short story - "Luna the Space Lion".

*** An interview with Rev. David Hall, conducted in August 2004.
Post a Comment