Tuesday, 24 February 2009

February 24th, 2009

I told you it might be a while inbetween posts sometimes, and that's because I'm really quite busy sometimes. These past couple of weeks have left me with virtually no free time whatsoever, as I begin a new semester at university and settle into the new routine that brings. It's also been my birthday, and I celebrated over a couple of days, which was nice. What wasn't so nice? Work! Never feels as though I'm out of the place.

One of my modules this semester is a Creative Producing course, which sees me take on the mantle of producer on an assigned film, working alongside the directors to put together the text - through a budget assembly, casting, location scouting, and script rewrites. If I'm honest, I've poured quite a lot into making the script I've been presented with - with a (dreadful) working title of Tit-4-Tat - presentable, and more importantly, achievable.

Here's a short extract from the latest draft. I added the scene into the piece - although much of the writer's original intentions have been kept intact throughout the rest of the script:
Martin pauses and turns to check his reflection, adjusting his posture and tidying himself as he does so.

MARTIN FINCHER
Appearance is everything, especially now. The PM is expected to call an election within the next twelve months, and I can’t falter.

He turns away, and walks the last few steps towards a set of doors.

AIDE
Well then, with all due respect Martin, perhaps ‘now’ wasn’t the best time to engage in extramarital relations with the secretary.

MARTIN FINCHER
This is about more than just the affair.

He opens the door but hesitates before walking through it.

AIDE
Maybe. But if I’ve learnt one thing it’s that no matter what you do or how far you run, secrets have a way of coming out-

It's work on that which prevents from working some more on "Self" and "The Other" - that, and a huge load of laziness! What can I say, I'm a lazy writer who enjoys watching television and film whenever he can; because it gives me an excuse to do no work.

Must get down to some serious script working!
Post a Comment