Saturday, 31 October 2009

All Hallows' Eve

I always find Halloween a very peculiar - but enjoyable! - experience. It's the one day of the year where perfectly sane people, not at all emotionally unbalenced folk, embrace the macabre and the gothic. If you were to do that at any other point in the year people would label you a Goth, or Emo, or whatever the current labelling is.

It seems to rotate around - one year people make a big effort with it all, decorating their homes or work places, and the next... nothing. They seem to ignore it. This year, luckily, people found their sense of fun again and got into the spirit of things.

Work was dressed up to look all spooky and haunting. A couple of the guys and gals placed fake gravestones everywhere (on which I wrote "Anthony's Dignity - Died 2007"!!) and some of them even came dressed in costumes. From witches, to convicted criminals, to Shaun of Shaun of the Dead fame... they all got into the moment, and were splendid!

For some strange reason I was given the night off of work. When I found this out, that not only had they given me a Saturday night off but it being Halloween Saturday, my jaw hit the floor! It meant I could attend the fancy dress party that my sister Donna was throwing. Alas, I had no costume... but still, a willingness to drink!

Donna moved into a new home in Blakely about three or four months ago, so in effect it was a wee house-warming - a chance to show it all off to friends and family. On top of that she has a new puppy called Lucy. I think I've mentioned it on here before - she's a cross between a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua, and around 10 weeks old. Also, gorgeous. If I could sneak her under my coat and nab her, i would. Alas, my sister, wouldn't have been all too happy if I did...

Interestingly, both Mum and Dad were there. It's rare that they're both at a function together at the same time. Mostly because they divorced like over 10 years ago. It's always awkward, because Mum says things about Dad and vicea versa, and I'm caught in the middle. Luckily, I think both parties escaped unscathed tonight, although Mum had a few drunken antics before we left - telling Donna's boyfriend how lucky he is to have as fabulous a girl as my sister.

I'm now back at home, after the killjoys... sorry, my Dad and step-mum left the party early. They're downstairs with my Auntie Ivy and her husband Martin, drinking wine, being loud and only getting louder because they're DRUNK. Oops.

So yeah, it's been a bit of a fun day. Was great having a day shift at work, getting to talk to all the kids who were in costume, or excited about it all. After all, Halloween is for them - long may those trick or treats continue, and long may the kids enjoy giving or receiving them!
Post a Comment