Monday, 30 November 2009

Evolving Noughties

Man, I can't believe how fast this year is going. I mean, November is over already!! Just 31 short days from now we'll bid farewell to 2009, and welcome in 2010 - which I've just realised is the start of a new decade (unless you're anal about these sorts of things, and class 2011 the start of the next decade...). What a scary, scary thought!

It doesn't seem five minutes ago that my sister Sarah was born. Of course, it was a little more than five minutes - sixteen years to be exact. Yep, she's sweet sixteen - and leaves school in a few short months. To be though she's still tht baby/toddler I used to wind up and make cry, or that no-nonsense kid I grew up with.

Knowing she's growing up changes our whole relationship. We're in a transition phase now, where it's time I accept she's her own woman and treat her like an adult. It causes friction between the two of us, of course, when I forget this and revert back to the mode of her being just a child; or my little sister than needs my constant help.

Biggest change of this last decade, I suppose, is how we've all developed as people - and nothing demonstrates this more than what Sarah has turned from and into.

Happy birthday, sis.

***

Voting has closed on the staff awards! I now know all 7 winners... well 8 actually, for reasons that will become clear to people on the night. Talking of which, there's still so much to plan for - I have a secret squirrel task to head up at uni (more on that another time) and then have to organise the food with the managers. Oh, and I have to come up with some sort of order for the night's activities.

Easy-peasy. Organised is fast becoming my middle name!
Post a Comment