Thursday, 10 December 2009

December 10th Collected

A collection of my diary entries, all from previous December 10ths:

Monday 10th December 2001 (Aged 12)

I got up at 7:00 and watched CBBC. Then I did my homework. School was very fun today. When I got back to Mum's I watched Dharma & Greg, then classic Eastenders and classic Neighbours on UK Gold.

I ate my dinner before watching Blue Peter. Newsround was about the Lord of the Rings premiere. In Neighbours, Dione lost the baby. Then I watched the Simpsons, where Burns had a trillion dollars.

I went up and read chapters 25-35 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Finally finished it!

We all rang Nanny Rose up to say "Happy Birthday!". Then I watched Eastenders, where Sharon and Phil babysat, and Louise became ill. As I sorted my books out I watched Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I listened to some music and had a cuppa-soup, before going up and reading the first 5 pages of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle.

Then it was bed...

Tuesday 10th December 2002 (Aged 13)

I woke up at just gone seven, and I revised for today's French test. Then at quarter past eight I walked to school. Today, in French, we had the easy listening test. Mrs Clarkson gave us tonnes to revise for the speaking test.

I walked home and I watched Episode 4 of Doctor Who: Frontier in Space, Cheers (Sam and Rebecca decided not to have children together) and Friends (Ross got married).

Mum picked Nanny Rose up. At six o'clock Uncle Jason and his kids arrived, and we all gave Nan her presents. I talked to Nan as I watched The Simpsons.

At seven o'clock Mum drove Nan back home. I went upstairs and wrote Adam & Iris episode 4.1 - "Redemption - Part One", the season 4 premiere where Cindy returned.

I watched the Champions League - Arsenal vs. Valencia (Arsenal won). Then I wrote a Doctor Who story, "The Death of Peladon - Episode 2" where the Eighth Doctor was seperated from his companions, and Ssard heard of a plot against King Peladon.

I watched V Graham Norton, before I went to bed.

Here's to Nan, and many more years of joy!

Wednesday 10th December 2003 (Aged 14)

Wow! Seventy years ago today Rosemary Healey was born in Wales. Now, seventy years later, Rose lives in Manchester, England - with three of her kids and nine of her grnadchildren (one of which is me!). She's had a grand old life, but in recent years she's been through some rough patches indeed. From the neighbours from Hell (we all hated them!) to her tripping and breaking her hip. However, she's always pulled through, because that's the kind of person she is.

I returned home from school and watched episode one of Doctor Who: The Sunmakers. At four o'clock, the birthday girl herself arrived. Rachel, Jason and all their kids visited. For one hour we tried desperately to create a party atmosphere, and this time we succeeded! We gave Nan her birthday gifts, and then she blew out her birthday cake. Rachel and the kids left at five, and Mum took Nan back home at seven o'clock.

In my bedroom I watched Coronation Street, The Bill and finally, the last Bodysnatchers. I ate some party food that had been left over for my supper, before I watched V Graham Norton on Channel 4, and then I entered dreamland.

Friday 10th December 2004 (Aged 15)

No diary entry written down.

Saturday 10th December 2005 (Aged 16)

Our first date!

Yep, after almost 2 weeks waiting for the day arrive, me and Katie went out for the first time today. Man, it was weird - I didn't really know what to expect. I mean we've barely spoken in person before this, and after so much time chatting online I didn't want us to meet, and for me to suddenly realise she isn't my type. I needed have worried; she's great!

Oh, I'm sooooo lucky! She's incredibly beautiful and thinks I'm really funny ("you should be a comedian" she told me on the metrolink ride into Manchester, as I joked around with her). We watched a film together, The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe before walking around Manchester for a little while.

On the way back home I wanted to kiss her, but was scared of making the first move! She laughed at this, but I suppose it can always wait! Yes, that's right, that means they'll be a next time - we had such fun today that she's agreed for us to carry this on.

Happiest guy in the world? Me right now!

Sunday 10th December 2006 (Aged 17)

As written to Katie-

Wow. It’s an entire year already. It feels amazing to be able to say at last, “I’ve been dating Katie for a year...” I don’t think I’ll ever get over that feeling! Anyways, today was special for a number of reasons. Firstly, I cooked you a meal. Aha, tasty! As it’s my Nanny Rose’s birthday too, my Nan came up to our house; looking all the more frail, but still so full of life. Bless her.

Anyways (again!) I felt horrible for leaving you all alone in the living room, as I was called away every five minutes back into the kitchen. Every time I went to start a conversation with you I was forced away again. D’oh!

I hope you liked the meal. I cooked chicken, with stuffing and lots of vegetables. Desert was Apple Strudel with custard, or chocolate sponge with custard. I elected for the strudel, whilst you had the sponge - why the Hell didn’t you tell me you’re not keen on custard?!?

Going back upstairs I gave you “Paper Memories” after months of teasing. Ah, bless, you seemed to love it. It meant so much that you appreciate the effort I put into it. :) Aww, and babes, your picture frame rocks. I’ll sit it on the very edge of my bed and look at it every morning/evening, and smile. ‘Cos you mean so much to me.

You left halfway through Channel 4’s screening of “Forrest Gump”, which I can’t believe you’ve never seen!!! Before you left, I snuck my ‘monkey’ teddy into your bag - because you love it so much :) I want you to have it, so it proves how much I want everything I own to be yours’ too.

Aww. One year!!! Yip-pee.

Here’s to two.

Monday 10th December 2007 (Aged 18)

From the post "Time On My Hands"

Whoa! The past couple of weeks have just flown by, haven't they? It's probably because I've had so much on my plate that I haven't had time to stop and look back. Always moving forwards, that's me. But seriously, whoa! December the 10th already - so much to do before Christmas and yet, so little time!

I've had like five university projects to complete all at once (talk about piling on the pressure!). There was a number of editing tasks that needed completing before today ("Shameless" and "New Street Law") but, thankfully, they're all done and dusted now. I've also - just! - completed a documentary proposal for my "Scriptwriting in Context" module. I'll go deliver that any minute now. But no time to rest, there's still plenty left to do!

I've got four 500 word essays to write before Wednesday afternoon; but, to be perfectly honest, I can probably work my way through them all tomorrow during my day off. Then there's a 20 minute presentation to plan for (which will take place Wednesday December 20th) which is based on the work of director Tim Burton. It's surprising how, with just over a week to go, we've hardly done as a group! Guess we'll just make the damn presentation up on the spot! Generally, it's how I work best - brag your way through it!

Then next Monday I've got to write a first draft of an essay that outlines where I want to go, and how I want to get there. Which is a little tricky to do this early in my writing career! It's like trying to second guess what will happen tomorrow - but it should be fun! I'm a forward thinker so the idea of planning ahead is kinda neat!

Honestly, I can't wait for the Christmas break from uni next week (the 'term' ends December 21st) which will give me enough time to Christmas shop. I'll also be working many an hour at the cinema - I'm thinking of expanding my available hours over the Christmas period so I can get a little more money for the new year. Not that I need additional money; I've got too much at the mo, and don't know what to do with it!

*He jests*

December is also a busy month for birthdays, too. A couple of days ago it was my step-sister Kirsty's 20th birthday. Not that I saw her, because me and my dad ended up having a major bust up (he was probably still a little drunk from the night before...) and in the end he didn't pick me up like he was supposed to. Never mind; I don't really speak to Kirsty anyway. Put it this way; she's not my biggest fan, and I'm not hers either.

Today is my Nan's birthday, bless her. She barely gets out of the house anymore, but tonight she's coming with me to watch my sister perform in a panto in town, which should be great for the both of us. I think she suffers from depression a little - a side effect of being stuck in a small village flat all day long. Her health isn't what it was, either, which is a real shame because I remember when I was younger and she'd look after me. Now it's me who does the looking after. Hope she has a good day - she deserves it!

On Wednesday it's my baby sister Lauren's birthday. I won't say how old she is, because it makes me feel old to think that it was that many years ago she came into the world! She's growing up pretty fast, but is still a right royal pain in my ass! But that's what little sisters are for, I guess...

And as all this birthday chaos goes on around me, I'm busy trying to write "Frank's Apocalypse" though there's not been any progress since I last reported here on the site. I just need the time and patience to sit down and write the thing. It's like a mini paradox; when I want to write, I simply don't have the time - and when I do have the time, I'm too tired and can't be arsed. Hopefully Santa will bring me a refill of will power this Crimbo.

I have, at least, had a fairly decent weekend. I met up with Paul R - a writer on my Torchwood and Sarah Jane websites - and we had a quick coffee together, and talked and talked until both of us had exhausted our geekiness. Paul's a great guy (who's probably reading this right now) and hopefully we'll meet up again soon and geek out all over again!

Right, it's time for lunch - I've just got enough spare time to buy an egg mayo sandwich and a latte from the cafeteria before I head on back to my last lecture on "Photography and Editing". Just. So I better hurry and get my running shoes on!

Have a great day whatever you're doing!!

Wednesday 10th December 2008 (Aged 19)

Today's my Nana's 75th birthday, so a cause of celebration I think you'll agree! We converged as a family at her home to wish her all the best, and give her the presents we've assembled over the last couple of weeks. She seemed in a genuinely happy mood throughout, not fazed by her recent stay in hospital. Was great seeing her happy again - it feels like an eternity ago that she was last like that.

When I was little, the woman was there for me whenever I needed her. I have one very specific memory of spending all my weekdays with her one summer, as Mum went out to work. Nan babysat us, but not only that - she kept us entertained, and loved us in a way only she could.

That summer sticks with me - it was the year that Teletubies launched and my (then) infant sister was addicted to it. Me and Donna were also glued to the telly, watching CBBC's H.O.T programming ("Holidays on Two"), but it wasn't all about home entertainment.

Nan used to take us all around the local shopping precinct. I remember those trips around Sainsbury's, and inside the nearby charity shops. Nowadays, that doesn't sound like much - but by God, back then they were adventures! And I got to spend them with this woman who demonstrated such care and affection for us, and I fell absoultely in love with her.

Nowadays she's older and not as nimble on her feet, having broke her hip five or six years ago. She's more house bound, but I can still see that desire to get out and have those adventures again, shown through the twinkle in her eye.

I propose a toast, to my Nan - the single most caring woman in the world, a woman so kind that no matter what your needs come before her's, every time. A woman that I love, in short, with every single inch of my heart.

To Rosemary Healey; the first 75 years!!

Thursday 10th December 2009 (Aged 20)

Been a bit of a funny day all round. Popped into uni for a quick hour and a bit to compress the Film Quiz (but before that, add the all important music) making it sure that it's ready to burn onto DVD tomorrow.

Was meant to be at Nan's house for about 12pm, to wish her happy birthday, but I ended up getting there a little late... well, at honur late. Spent too long at uni on those damn videos, ya see.

She's looking well. Better than I've seen her for a while, actually. We had a good old natter about her sisters who live all over the place, and friends of her's she is still in contact with - 60+ years after she left Wales. It's just a shame I got there late, and had to leave less than an hour or so after I arrived.

You see they asked me to cover at the Lowry centre arm of the cinema I work for. Haven't gone there yet - about to set off any minute now. I covered at Bolton last year, and it was most fun getting to play around with another site. Think I liked exploring it most of all. Loser, me.

I better go, my lift is coming in a mo.

Here's to the rest of this December 10th, and the ones that follow!
Post a Comment