Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Manchester Spirit

I've been home for a week. Just visiting, mind.

I'm glad of the break away from the cinema. Sometimes it feels as though Westfield is all consuming, and my life outside of those four walls is null and void because of it.

That's part of the reason, I think, why I've enjoyed this week so much.

It's me, back home, amongst my family and just doing 'normal' things.

There's Tyler of course. I've been busy catching up with my nephew (now a little over three weeks old) and his mum Donna. Boy, I'm terrible with babies. No, you can laugh but I'm not actually joking! I'm not around them nearly enough to know what to do with them. On top of them, I live in a permanent state of worry that he's not OK - or heading down 'Not OK' Road.

I suppose that's love, right there.

It's funny how important family seems to be now. I'm not quite sure if it's because of the babies (Sarah's little 'un Jamie is due in January) or if it happened whilst I was away/because I moved away. I dunno. Whatever, he seem to be more of a 'family unit' now - closer than we've ever been. That's nice - and a million times better than anything I feel in London, at work.

Whilst I've been here I've had a catch up with old friends, too. Everytime I come back up North, there's seems to be less of them around. See, most of my friends work at the cinema - and they're all leaving. The cinema was the one common factor that kept us friends, and without it we're losing touch. So it's to be expected, then, that two years on since I left Manchester there's only a few of them still working at Bury the Rock cinema. The last remaining few! It's a sorry sight.

I had tried to organise a scavenger hunt - my fourth (the first was back in 2009); but that didn't pan out. Only two faces turned up, so we did the right and proper northern thing and went to a pub instead. The two later saw the list I'd created, and agreed it was my best one yet. Damn. The one that got away!!

There were plans for me to do some filming here in Manchester that never materialised, either. I'd wanted to do something with my friend Jack, but I've not been able to get in touch with him. I suppose it'll have to save for another time.

The train back home is 14:55 later (today being the 4th) - and if I'm honest, a big part of me doesn't want to go back. Without being twee, this city is my spirtual home - and add in Tyler, there's a big incentive to stay put.

I've a choice coming my way. It looms large over me and has done for a very long time now (I just choose to ignore it). How long am I staying in London?

That's the question.

Sooner rather than later I'll have to answer it.

But not now. I'm on holiday!
Post a Comment