Monday, 11 November 2013

Night is Here

It's night-time:

Sleep comes at 1am.

But then it betrays me 2 hours later. I wake, and fail to sleep again.

The curse of insomnia means a world I don't usually explore opens up to me: the world at night time, and it's a horribly noisy place...but one that's so gloriously alive:

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock... As the seconds move on, and the hours evolve to the next. Why does time pass so slowly, when you least want it to?

Meow! Meeeeeeow! Those damn cats outside, fighting (or , according to last week's Q.I. episode, raping one another....) I wish they'd shut it. I'd oprn my window and shout at them, but what good would it do?! Man, I hate the cats of Shepherds Bush!

The rhythm of breathing-in, then breathing-out. A constant companion, that's reassuring at the best of times. At the worst, it's a distraction - ironic that an act keeping me alive also keeps me awake and prevents much needed rest.

Those damn cats, again, still at it. There's a serial cat rapist on the loose.

Neighbours next door returning home - opening doors, slamming doors; giggling, enjoying life, not caring about about the rest of the world...or my sleeping pattern.

Restless, I toss and turn, scratching bedsheets, effecting bed-springs ("boo-do-doosh" go those springs, every turn)

Somewhere, panting. I think it might signal sex. Eurgh. I avoid thinking about it - it's worse than the cat rape.

Doosh! A toilet flushes downstairs, prompting my bladder to realise it too needs an empty. I hold it in for as long as possible, but then can't any longer because all I can think about is that glorious future moment, where the relief of visiting the toilet is met.

The Game of Thrones theme tune. Ace! "Bah bah, ba-ba-ba-bah, ba-ba-ba-ba, ba-ba,  ba-ba..."  I think about who is watching it, and what episode. I realise I've only seen up to the end of season 2. My mind races,  trying to second guess if this is a season 3 episode being watched. I don't understand much if the muffled dialogue. I think I can hear Tyrian. I need to get onto the new season, ASAP...

As all this goes on, and sleep refuses to visit me tonight, my thoughts drift onto my worries. They're mostly to do with frustrations at work, but also cover my Mum who's more than likely about to be diagnosed with diabetes.

Enough!! I need sleep. Also, I realise I am tired. Work tomorrow...

Finally, screwing my eyes up, I drift off to sleep.

When I wake, the night has gone.


Post a Comment