Thursday, 2 April 2015

April 1st, 2015

It's funny how each script I write feels completely different to the last. Some depend on huge, detailed notes. Others need nothing more than a one page synopsis. I'm working on Fellow now - with nothing more than a series of (yet) unconnected scenes planned in my head.

Act 2.1 is shaping up nicely. Where there was once a void of ideas, I'm now filling in the gaps - quickly, and efficiently. Those opening scenes I wrote last night have been ditched in part, and the rest has been swapped around so it now plans in a different order, with an improved dynamic.

To give you an idea of the script changes:

Yesterday's draft opened with a flashback of Horatio, 8 years ago in Self. The footage, lifted from the original film, was the film's ending - with Horatio deleting his script. We then jumped back to the present day, and Horatio making a self-aware joke about this being a sequel, and asking "Now, where was I?"

Today, I like the idea of using a flashback sequence - but I've added a nice speech before it, with Horatio acknowledging that 2007 is a year he remembers well. Then... cue the flashback! Then... Horatio drops the bombshell that the flashback is the day he quit writing.

That end bit is important; because actually this is the story of a directionless writer, and I missed that in the first draft. It will also help to set up what comes up in Act 2.3/Act 3.

I like this new order, I really do. It's odd, but I can't explain why. It's like a code in my mind; this just makes more sense now, and 'fits' the piece better. I think originally the flashback lacked context, and was therefore just an oddity, and the self-aware joke fell flat.

That's not all! We're now up to 2 full pages of script, as I added the first few scenes following the titles in. I'll more than likely rework them too next time I'm typing!

***

Gabi has asked her colleague Paulina would she appear in the film. She said yes! So now we're trying to plan a filming day next week - after which all that remains would be the Manchester scenes of Act 1.

(It's weird, knowing Margot Shelly - a character I've had only in my mind for 5/6 years - is about to come to life)

***

I was writing, whilst watching The X Files season 2 episodes 20-22.
Post a Comment