Thursday, 9 April 2015

April 9th, 2015

Or "The Incredible Journey of Margot Shelly".

Fellow

A filming day!

Today I shot the opening park sequences from Act 1, which bring to life Horatio approaching Margot Shelly then asking her out.

Look, proof!



IN CHARACTER AS HORATIO MAGUIRE & MARGOT SHELLY

It's peculiar having Margot committed to film at last - because she's spent the last 8 years solely inside my head. Pretty much since day dot of the project (in its "Self 2.0" and "The Fool" guises) she's existed within the narrative; the object of Horatio's desires, and ultimately the ignition for him to start writing again.

In this latest draft, her part has largely been trimmed down. The project has moved onto other ideas, and there simply wasn't the time nor the need to explore Margot's character any further. Interestingly though, I don't know if she will return for a sequence in Act 3. Part of me thinks she needs to, to help bring the story full circle - but then another bit of me wonders if Horatio would ever realistically go see her again, after she turns him down in today's sequence. Hmmm...

(The actress, Paulina, is willing to return for another block of filming later on if I need her to. I do have an interesting idea to have Margot reappear as a figment of Horatio's imagination at the end. We'll see).

Here's an extract from a very early draft script - possibly dated 2011? - when Margot was featured a lot more prominently:

MARGOT SHELLY (early-20s, tall, geeky) is stood inside the female toilets, before the mirror, delicately applying make-up to her face.

The toilet doors burst open and somebody, a guy - HORATIO MAGUIRE - rushes inside. He heads straight into a toilet cubicle, and slams it shut behind him.

Calmly, Margot shouts through, hearing Horatio throw up:

MARGOT
That'll be the drink then.

HORATIO
I wish it was.

MARGOT
Open up, I can help.

HORATIO
You what?

MARGOT
Open up.

HORATIO
No.

MARGOT
Oh, but why not?

HORATIO
Look, I don't know you, and this-

He throws up again.

MARGOT
-Is absolutely revolting.

I'm working on fixing sound issues now, and overlaying some of Margot's dialogue onto a video of Horatio in close up. It's supposed to show his breakdown - from all the nasty things Margot calls him!

Should be done with the latest (rough) edit tomorrow. I'll post it then.

In the meantime, I'm planning the montage sequence - inviting lots of friends to be a part of it - and then... then... I only have the Manchester sequences to film, and Act 1 is in the bag!

Time to resume writing Act 2...
Post a Comment