Saturday, 11 July 2015

July 10th, 2015

Not since the days of April 3rd have I gone out and filmed so much in one day. In fact, I think it's been a wee nauseating. I'm going to refer back to this in years to come as something silly, like Fellow's Frantic Friday.

Fellow

Ok... a warning before I go on... we're now knee deep into Fellow's production, so from this point on in the post you have been warned, there be SPOILERS.

*
*
*

I killed my Dad today.

Well, Horatio's at least.


Yep, Colin Maguire meets his maker at the end of Act 2 Part 3. I hadn't actually told my acting family what happens to him until today (they still don't know he's dead... and just think it's a heart attack he suffered). It was actually very, very awkward to film. Can you imagine asking your actor, who is also your step-dad, to fake a heart attack and die? Later, when I showed Mum the edited sequence back, she got a little teary, and I don't really blame her.

Here's a quick run down of what was shot for Act 2.3 today:


+ Horatio in the park, watching the world around him and seeking inspiration from it.

+ Horatio's Mum breaking into her son's tent, to wash his clothes.


+ Horatio confronting his Mum over her taking his clothes away from him.

+ The montage sequence, which breaks down into three sections: 1) Horatio leaving for a train, 2) Mum going mad, and out for a drive, and 3) Dad dying. Still a few bits to go, but it's a good 80% filmed and edited now. It looks OK - though I'm disappointed it didn't quite turn out like I imagined in my head. But then, did my imagination get a little too ambitious for its own good?


+ Horatio at the train station, where he receives some bad news. This is also the closing shot of Act 2.3, and therefore of the whole Act too. I might shuffle it along to the beginning of Act 3, but then I like ending the episode on Horatio. It is, after all, a film about him.

Me and Phil Wooller also recorded Phil's voice of God narration for Act 2.2 today.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping I can finish the Act 2.3 montage off, as well as a scene with Horatio and his previously unseen sister. Fingers crossed!

After that, I think I'll take a short break. I think I need it. Besides, I haven't really got the foggiest idea what happens in the film's concluding chapter, beyond knowing that I want Horatio to start writing again. No doubt the next few blog posts will explore that particular writing process in full.

'Till then.
Post a Comment