Friday, 11 September 2015

September 10th, 2015

AKA "Cardiff Day"

I'd planned this visit in my mind for a couple of weeks. I was going to use my time here to create some new footage for That Resolute Desk: Sometimes, Somewhere. Originally I was going to go running by the Bay and have my character, Jarvis, talk to camera from there. Then I would have filmed in the hotel room. For both sequences, I neglected to write any script - ultimately because I just couldn't think anything up between when I first had the idea, and actually being in Cardiff.

It means I produced nothing (despite taking my camera with me!). Perhaps it's for the best, as me and Dad - visiting with me - were that pressed for time during the day, that I'm not sure when the footage would have been shot anyway.

Instead me and Dad had a bit of a Doctor Who day. During the early afternoon, soon after arriving, I took him around the city centre and showed him some of the locations used throughout the years in the production of Doctor Who in Cardiff. Then, we had lunch and went to Cardiff Bay - where Dad was horrified by Ianto's Shrine, and we were both entertained by the Doctor Who Experience.

Later on, after dinner, we went to the BAFTA Cymru preview of Doctor Who series 9's opening two episodes (The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familar). I thought they were OK-to-good episodes, but the main thrill of the evening was seeing writer Steven Moffat, and actors Peter Capaldi/Jenna Coleman in the flesh! During the Q&A afterwards, Jenna was sat facing me, and I *swear* throughout she kept looking at me, and smiling!

They took this photograph:


It infuriated my Dad, as he was stood next to me (I'm bottom left, in the blue shirt)... and was then cropped out of the image! What a shame...

The final bit of the day came afterwards, when I met my friend Lauren for a quick catch-up drink. We've known each other for nigh on 10 years now, but as she's Cardiff based I don't get to see her all that often.

Following that, it was back to my hotel... and bed.

And that was Cardiff. Until next time...!
Post a Comment