Saturday, 21 November 2015

Jessica Jones et al

One of the perks of working within a comic shop is I get to read plenty of material on my breaks. Here's a run down of my recent reading:

Alias
Issues 1-9

Ahead of Netflix's latest Marvel series, I've been reading the source comic. This is the story of a retired super heroine, who has decided to move on from her heroics and become a P.A. It's usual for a Marvel comic, in that it features lots of swearing, excessive violence and sex. However, it does present a very strong female lead - and is quite funny in places.


I really like this and writer Brian Michael Bendis' Daredevil run. They feel like fresh takes on old characters (which is ironic, as Jessica Jones was only created in 2001 - we're just meant to believe she's been around since the start of the Marvel Universe)

Saga
Book One and Two

The story of deserters in a cosmic war, Saga is a masterful story told by my favourite publisher Image Comics. It has some incredibly beautiful artwork, and the use of handwriting as a font makes for a strong visual. This presents a very real, believable set of worlds - where love, sex, war and hope/hopelessness are an every day part of proceedings.


This is an incredibly popular series. I spend a lot of my days stacking shelves; and this is one of the shelves that gets revisited the most by me!

Daredevil
Vol. 3 Issues 11-15


Published earlier this year, these adventures see Matt Murdock living in San Francisco. I really dig writer Mark Waid's take on the character. Having read Daredevil for almost 15 years, I am use to the character featuring in dark, often downbeat tales. What's unusual about Waid's run is just how bright and fun they are. It's the polar opposite of typical Daredevil storytelling, and probably all the better for it!

I'm sad though, because I only have one trade paperback (issues 16-18) to go before the end of this particular series. Afterwards, Marvel does it typical rebooting (volume 4) and that will jettison much of what Mark Waid added, which is a shame.

Chew
Issues 1-2


I've only just started this, but it's great! Crissie had spoken to me about it for a very long time. I shrugged it off, because I checked out a few pages and it really didn't seem like the art style was my cup of tea. But Crissie was very persistent, and nagged me to pick it up. So, taking a break from Alias I did... and it's fun. It's the story of Tony Chu, who is a Cibopath - meaning he can taste the history of foods he eats. As he is a police officer, he is able to use this skill to piece together food-related crimes. I'm still only a couple of installments in, but it is the perfect book to read when you need a bit of an uplift after a hectic shift!

The Wicked & the Divine
Book One


A British comic, about a number of Gods who take human form... but only have 2 years to live. It's fun, a little anarchic and features lots of places in London I'm familiar with. I think it's probably a little too cool for school, but again it's popular and not hard to see why.

Though they kill off their most interesting character at the end of book one!!

Alex & Ada
Book One

The art style is very simple, but effective. This is the story of Alex, who receives a human-lookalike robot called Ada for his birthday - and sets out to give her life, by making her sentient.


I thought this captured the life and thought patterns of a heartbroken man quite well, as he strives to put things right and make a new life for himself. I can relate! I'm not sure where the story will go - but there's only 10 episodes left, and I don't think it'll really 'get going' before it begins to wrap up.

For what it is, though, this first Act is pretty great.

***

At the cinema I have also seen two great films from these shores:


Brooklyn is a beautiful story of what home means, and the love you find there.


Lady in the Van is less effective, but still a good, solid film. Maggie Smith is very funny in it, and you really do believe in the woman she plays. It's an interesting look at companionship - even if her character and Alan Bennett do not always see eye-to-eye!

Hopefully, I'll see either Sicario or Fassbender's Macbeth tomorrow.

I'm seeing/reading lots of things. Life is good!
Post a Comment