Sunday, 8 November 2015

The Edge

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. 1...

We're leaving together
But still it's farewell,
And maybe we'll come back
To Earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?"

The Final Countdown, Europe


***

It's 2008, I'm in Portugal and off exploring on my own.

I start on the beach, before moving away to its rocky walls. I climb them, and find a hidden world of pathways atop. It's a beautiful summer's day so I decide to just keep going and going - further away from the beach, onto somewhere else. Soon hours must have passed by.

Eventually, I can't go any further. Not because I'm tired, or scared - but literally, I've reached the end. I find myself stood on the side of a cliff, at its very edge, staring out at and into the sea beyond.

It's a beautiful, beautiful sight. I whip my camera out, set the timer and take a snap of myself:


I sat there for a long while, just looking out, all on my own. What fascinated me wasn't just the natural charm of it all, or the peace and quiet. No... I loved it because this was it... this was where everything ended, and something new started.

I'm a writer/philosopher and find that a powerful thought.

***

Tonight is my last night in Manchester. This is it folks!

My new room is in Woolwich, Greenwich. It's a house share with my friend Jack. I officially get the keys tomorrow, and as soon as I possibly can I'll be moving my possessions from their storage to my new home. Isn't that exciting?

Once I've unpacked and settled in it's time to start my new job at Forbidden Planet! That begins on Thursday, on a 10-7 shift. Then I'm scheduled to work through the weekend... and...

Beyond!

Beyond the edge.

Where something new starts.
Post a Comment